21 Facts About Your Skin
- July 25, 2019
- / Author Name
- / Post Tags
Taking care of your skin should be one of the most important things you do considering it is the human body's largest organ. Having a regimen that you do every morning and night will allow you and your skin to take preventative actions against aging and fine lines and wrinkles. Here are 21 facts about skin that I bet you didn't know.
1. Skin is the human body's largest organ
2. The average skin, when stretched out, is 2 square meters long.
3. Skin accounts for around 15% of your bodyweight
4. There are two types of skin
5. Your skin has 3 layers
Epidermis- Dead and waterproof
Dermis- Hair and sweat glands
Hypodermis- which is made of fat and connective tissue
6. The thinnest skin is found on your eyelids
7. The thickest skin is found on your feet
8. Every 28 days your skin renews itself
9. Every minute your skin sheds 30,000 dead cells
10. Over 50% of dust in your home is dead skin cells.
11. Your skin has its own microbiome of over 1,000 species
12. Skin color is the result of a protein called melanin
13. Around 7% of skin cells are melanocytes
14. There are two types of melanin
Pheomelanin- Yellow to red in color
Eumelanin- Dark brown to black in color
15. Melanin is also responsible for your eye color
16. It takes up to 6 months for babies to develop their permanent skin tone
17. Acne is caused by an overproduction of cells that line the sweat glands
18. 4 out of 5 teenagers get some sort of acne
19. 1 out of 20 adult women suffer from acne
20. 1 out of 100 adult men suffer from acne
21. For healthy skin you need
Taking care of your skin is so important and learning about your skin and what's best for it is even more important. Take time to come see one of our aestheticians who will do a consult with you, learn about your concerns and expectations, and set up an individualized treatment plan that works best for you and your skin.
Thanks for following along with us and remember HEALTHY SKIN IS IN!
East Hill Laser & Aesthetics